KENNESAW — The Southern Museum of Civil War and Locomotive History has opened a special 1864 exhibit with items loaned from private collections not seen by the public at the museum before.
In the collection are letters written by George Hudson of the 36th Georgia regiment out of Decatur, said the museum’s curator, Jonathan Scott.
“He wrote letters home all the time,” Scott said. “He was a very well-written guy.”
The letters to his wife and family reveal his fear of dying, missing home and “common sense issues,” such as how much money the army owes his wife if he were to die, Scott said.
“We wanted to talk about the hardships and how hard the war was for both sides,” Scott said. “It really wasn’t a pleasant time for anyone to be alive.”
The focus of the Southern Museum’s temporary exhibit is to tell a particular story of who owned and used an item, Scott said, such as a snare drum, drumsticks and a sling used by Jesse Thornburgh of the 39th Iowa regiment, who is also pictured in a period photograph at age 24.
ATLANTA (AP) — Candidates for Georgia’s open Senate seat have filed their required campaign finance reports for April, and Rep. Jack Kingston continues to lead the GOP field in total contributions.
A Kingston spokesman said Friday the campaign raised $291,000 in contributions last month and had nearly $1.3 million heading into the final stretch before the May 20 primary.
Former Dollar General CEO David Perdue raised about $219,000 with about $467,000 in cash. The April report also shows Perdue put another $1 million into his campaign.
Former Secretary of State Karen Handel raised $135,000 with about $337,000 in cash.
SAVANNAH — Georgia’s port chief and Washington lawmakers said Friday they’re confident a $652 million plan to deepen the busy shipping channel to the Port of Savannah will soon clear its last bureaucratic hurdle after 15 years of studies and delays.
Georgia officials have been waiting since October for the House and Senate to reach a compromise on a sweeping water-projects bill expected to eliminate an outdated spending cap on the Savannah harbor expansion. House and Senate negotiators announced a deal Thursday night. The compromise was expected to win easy approval in both chambers before the end of May.
The Obama administration has said a $459 million spending cap placed on the Savannah project in 1999 — which is $193 million below current cost estimates — must be changed before the federal government can sign a final cost-sharing agreement with Georgia officials. The agreement would allow dredging of the Savannah River channel to begin using $266 million in state funding Georgia has already set aside.
“To me it’s massively huge that this step looks like it’s about to conclude,” said Curtis Foltz, executive director of the Georgia Ports Authority. “It’s clear from the administration that until this step was accomplished, we were all going to be here sitting on our hands.”
Foltz said if the measure meets final approval by Congress and is signed by the president as expected, he’s confident construction will start in the coming months.
“We’ll literally start seeing sand being moved before the year is out,” Foltz said.
WEST POINT, N.Y. — Almost 70 years after Joseph Federico was wounded and captured in the hedgerows of France, he was personally thanked Friday by the country’s government during a heartfelt ceremony at the U.S. Military Academy.
The 88-year-old Belvidere, New Jersey, resident was among 34 World War II veterans decorated as knights of France’s Legion of Honor in a ceremony leading up to the 70th anniversary of the D-Day landings on June 6, 1944. Many honorees had white hair and stooped postures and rose slowly to have the medals pinned to their chests. But, to a man, they said the honor was welcome seven decades after their service.
“I’m just lucky that I’m here to get this, you know, because it was awfully tough for all of us,” said Federico, who spent two months recovering from a shrapnel wound to his leg as a prisoner of war. “I lost good friends from my company, and it was terrible.”
Democrats have a serious chance to end Republicans’ statewide dominance and win U.S. Senate and governor’s races this year, an Atlanta Journal-Constitution poll suggests. But the general election contest has yet to truly begin, and GOP candidates will soon sharpen their attacks against their rivals.
The statewide survey found that Gov. Nathan Deal is 3 percentage points ahead of Democrat Jason Carter in his bid for a second term, within the poll’s statistical margin of error. At the same time, Deal’s approval ratings have lodged at 44 percent, below the 50 percent threshold incumbents aim to reach.
Michelle Nunn, the likely Democratic nominee for the U.S. Senate, has sizable leads against four of the five top GOP contenders for the seat of retiring U.S. Sen. Saxby Chambliss. She polls only 1 percentage point ahead of David Perdue, a Fortune 500 executive who is among the front-runners for the GOP runoff in July.
The poll is good news for Democrats hoping the party can harness a rising number of minority voters and other newcomers in November rather than waiting for future election cycles, as national political observers envision Georgia as a swing state in the making. But there’s a long way to go.
Top Democrats are untested in statewide campaigns and have faced few attacks at this point. Deal’s campaign has so far ignored Carter in its feel-good ad campaign, and Republican Senate candidates are busy battering each other ahead of the May 20 primary. The independent voters who are likely to swing the race lean Republican, the poll shows.
Nunn ahead in Senate race
Nunn leads all of the five main Republican U.S. Senate hopefuls in a general election ballot test, though the strongest Republican — Perdue — battles Nunn to a near-tie.
Perdue has led polls ahead of the May 20 Republican primary, which is almost certain to be followed by a runoff between the top two Republican vote-getters. Nunn has been embraced by Georgia and national Democrats ahead of her primary against three underfunded rivals.
The AJC did not poll the Republican or Democratic primary races because low turnout and primaries not confined to party registrants would have made the polling results, in its view, too unreliable.
MEMPHIS, Tenn. — While Republicans talked publicly about gaining more control over their presidential debates, a panel of Republican National Committee members conferred in secret for months to create rules and penalties that would ensure 2016 candidates toed the line, according to interviews and internal emails reviewed by The Washington Times.
The penalties included stripping delegates from candidates who participated in unauthorized primary debates, a notion that created instant concern among RNC members who learned of the secret plans, the interviews and documents show.
RNC Chairman Reince Priebus has long wanted to break what he called the broadcast networks’ stranglehold over who gets to ask the questions at nationally televised GOP nomination debates: network reporters whom Republicans view as liberal, or questioners who are not as hostile to conservative philosophy.
What remained withheld from the 168-member RNC was the fact that some time ago Mr. Priebus quietly appointed a nine-member committee that included himself, and the panel began devising rules to govern the 2016 primary season.
That committee proposed that a candidate who participates in an early, unsanctioned debate be stripped of all delegates that candidate wins in primary contests held before Feb. 1, 2016. If a candidate joins an unsanctioned debate after March 1, the RNC would remove all the delegates that candidate wins in the seven days after the violation.
The details of the penalties proposed by the secret committee are listed in an April 24 email sent on behalf of RNC General Counsel John Ryder and in-house RNC Counsel John Phillippe. Other emails reviewed by The Times detail conversations leading to the formations of the plans.
“All, as a follow-up to this morning’s call, we would ask you to focus on and think some more about the delegate penalty rule. Any delegate that would otherwise be awarded to a candidate not eligible to receive such a delegate due to operation of this rule will not be allocated to any candidate. If any vacancy results, it shall be filled in accordance with the rules and procedures in place in for filling of vacancies in that state,” one such email states.
“Imposition of delegate penalties will be very tricky for a number of reasons, including the variety of methods used by states to allocate and to select delegates. If you think of any problems with the language above or of ways to improve it, please let us know,” another email states.
Making freely available plenty of B-roll is a new phenomenon in which candidates discreetly court the attention of SuperPACs that might be considering boosting their campaign. Simply put, it gives SuperPACs free footage of the candidates, chosen by their campaign, without the pesky charges of “coordinating.”
So, what is “B-roll”? Wikipedia defines it:
B-roll, B roll, or Broll is the supplemental or alternative footage intercut with the main shot in an interview or documentary.
The term “B-roll” is now limited to secondary footage that adds meaning to a sequence or disguises the elimination of unwanted content. This technique of using the cutaway is common to hide zooms in documentary films: the visuals may cut away to B-roll footage of what the person is talking about while the A camera zooms in, then cut back after the zoom is complete. The cutaway to B-roll footage can also be used to hide verbal or physical tics that the editor and/or director finds distracting: with the audio separate from the video, the filmmakers are free to excise “uh”s, sniffs, coughs, and so forth.
“B-roll” also refers to footage provided free of charge to broadcast news organizations as a means of gaining free publicity. For example, an automobile maker might shoot a video of its assembly line, hoping that segments will be used in stories about the new model year. B-roll sometimes makes its way into stock footage libraries.
Here’s a discussion of how important B-roll is in cutting video segments, whether they be news or ads.
If you’ve ever watched a TV news crew taping a segment, whether it’s with a candidate you’re there to support, or alongside the road for a traffic story, you’ve seen B-roll being shot. When the on-air talent and the subject of the video segment take several shots walking toward the camera talking and gesturing, that’s probably B-roll.
With each passing election cycle, both parties are figuring out new ways to skirt campaign finance laws.
A couple years ago, I wrote about how the official and independent expenditure wings of the campaign committees share opposition research and message points through less-traveled regions of the Web. That “IE Strategy Borders on Art Form” might be worth a second glance as the cycle heats up.
Some candidates are also conveniently sharing video footage for potential use by independent groups for television ads through links that are sometimes difficult to find unless you know where to look.
For example, Democratic Rep. Bruce Braley is running for the open Senate seat in Iowa. BruceBraley.com/video includes a trio of b-roll videos, but the webpage is found only by a small link at the bottom of the main page.
Need video of Braley talking with old people? No problem. There’s “Bruce Braley Stands With Iowa Seniors” — one minute and 23 seconds of gripping b-roll of the congressman with senior citizens layered with smooth elevator music, unencumbered by audio of Braley or a narrator actually talking.
According to one opposition researcher, outside groups usually don’t need the footage of the candidate because they are usually busy attacking the opponent. But this cycle, some Democrats might need help boosting their positive ratings, and quality footage of the candidate is harder to come by without the ability to coordinate.
Braley isn’t the only candidate making his b-roll conveniently available.
In North Carolina, b-roll of Democratic Sen. Kay Hagan can be found on her campaign site using a similar URL pattern: KayHagan.com/video.
Two minutes of b-roll footage and music that might remind you of your last filling are available for download, including the senator casually leaning on the back of an old Ford truck talking to two dudes.
According to a couple of partisan strategists, these videos are a natural step in the proliferation of outside groups and outside spending. Senate contests are increasingly saturated with negative ads, so the only alternative is to begin airing positive spots as well.
“Doing positive ads isn’t as easy,” according to one GOP operative, who explained that negative ads can be done with still shots but effective positive ads require “some nice imagery.” That often isn’t available without the ability to coordinate with the candidate or found by scouring the Internet, unless the candidate makes it publicly and strategically available.
Thus far, it appears that Republicans haven’t adopted a similar strategy.
Of course, video sharing isn’t the only instance of candidates and campaign committees sharing with outside groups and independent expenditure units.
MACON, Georgia (41NBC/WMGT) – The future is happening now.
Cars that don’t need gasoline anymore are becoming more popular, especially with car company Tesla.
But of course, they don’t run without some type of power–they need to charge.
Folks who drive a Tesla electric car have a really easy way to do it with a supercharging station Tesla just built in the heart of Macon.
The city partnered with Tesla to install the station downtown near the corner of MLK Boulevard and Poplar Street–right in 41NBC’s backyard.
One Macon Tesla owner loves his car so much, he bought he wife one as well.
He says the supercharging station is great to take trips down to Savannah and Charleston or wherever you want to go.
“I was interested in having a single car that could run on pure electricity,” said Tesla owner Norman Nelson.
The charging port pops open like a gas tank would, but similarities to a normal car stop there.
“It’s amazed me every step of the way,” said Norman .
Norman drives a Tesla Model S, which draws its power from electricity–not gas.
“On all the things this car can do different from a regular internal combustible engine car,” said Norman.
You just need to charge the car through the port on the side of the car, much like you’d gas up at a gas station.
Norman and other Tesla drivers around Middle Georgia can take advantage of a supercharging station installed right in our backyard at 41NBC near the corner of Poplar and MLK downtown.
Crews have worked for the past few weeks, and now the chargers are operational and free.
MACON, Georgia (41NBC/WMGT) — Former Bibb County Commissioner Lonzy Edwards is ready to lead again, this time in Atlanta.
Edwards is challenging State Rep. James Beverly for his seat representing the residents of District 143.
Edwards believes every state leader needs experience serving on the local level. Over the years, he says he experienced a lack of communication between state and local leaders and that doesn’t benefit anyone.
He points to the most critical issue in the district as education. Edwards says jobs and education go hand-in-hand. If elected, Edwards says he will push to keep education dollars in Bibb County.
Edwards also talked about how he, State Senator David Lucas, and former Bibb County Commission Chair Sam Hart worked to secure state funds to go forth with the Jeffersonville Road expansion project. He charged his opponent, who got the road last weekend, as using a short term solution as a political move that won’t ultimately fix the problem